Hello everyone. Lately, I have been working on behind the scenes internet integration of Myriad. This post is about a few things that I have learned about integrating one's small business website with Facebook. I hope that a few of these things help you with your business too.
1. Facebook Cover Ideal Size. Facebook asks for a photo to be used as the Facebook Cover of your Facebook Page in its new Timeline style. But, they don't tell you what the dimensions should be. After some searching, I discovered that the ideal size of a Facebook Cover is either 850 x 315 pixels or 851 x 315 pixels depending on who you listen to. The big problem is that the height spec is static (doesn't change) but Facebook automatically stretches your cover picture which makes it fuzzy. I played with it a long time and I don't see a way to make the text look perfect on the Cover. The picture above is the current Facebook Cover picture that I uploaded. It is two good examples of the Latin Mass Altar Cards that I designed for priests.
2. Facebook Background Color: You might also be interested in knowing what specific shade of blue that Facebook is using for its Facebook background color. I did a screen capture (windows print screen key) and pasted it into a new Photoshop document, used the eyedropper tool to make it a foreground color. Facebook's current background color is: RGB: 231, 235, 242 respectively. For my Facebook cover, I wanted one of my framed works to be smaller than the other and white slivers of background didn't look right. To blend it with Facebook's, I used the the rgb values just listed. I hope that helps you if you are doing something similar. Remember, any pictures posted for display on computers are supposed to be designed with RGB values not CMYK. CMYK is for pictures to be printed.
3. Facebook Business Presence: For Myriad, I have a personal page, Jerry Myriadcreativeconcepts, a business (fan) page, Myriad Creative Concepts, and a Places page, Myriad Creative Concepts. From what I understand this is the way to do it. Apparently, if you merge them together, you lose many of the features so there is quite a debate on whether to merge them together. For now, I intend to go with these separate pages. If you have tips on how to make the various Facebook pages work well together, send me a message. Thanks in advance for any ideas that you have. :)
4. Free Photo Editing Software: I use Photoshop for my graphic design business. But, if you don't have it and would like a free program to edit photos or to make a Facebook Cover picture, GIMP for Windows is supposed to be very good.
5. Lastly, if you are interested in creating a small business website online, check out Yahoo Small Business. They have lots of templates for you to get it up and running pretty fast.
That's it for now. Just a few things that I found out that I thought would be good for you too. Take care and have a great weekend!
Post a Comment